Monday, June 1, 2009

Vicky's Driving Story

In this driving test blog I like giving tips and optimistic stories. Today I have another one, which starts off very sad. It's the story of Vicky Hueber, a driver who passed her driving test after many lessons, a huge expenditure, and a great disbelief.

How Someone Who Has Failed Their Practical Driving Test Can Pass the Next One

Are you learning to drive? Have you already failed one, or two, or more practical test attempts? Do you feel as though you will never be the owner of a shiny pink card with your mug on it?
A few years ago, while I was learning to drive, I was sitting on the bus (yay) on the way home from work when I overheard some loud-mouthed know-it-all thug chatting to some woman sitting in the seat in front of him.

"People should only need twenty driving lessons before they pass their driving test. And they should pass it first time, otherwise, they shouldn't be on the road."

The most frightening thing about that statement is, I don't think he's alone in that train of thought. He is of course, absolutely, one hundred percent wrong.

I started learning to drive at the age of seventeen, when most people do. However, it wasn't until I was twenty-one that I actually passed my driving test, on my fourth attempt. This was after the expenditure of thousands of pounds, two theory tests, literally about a hundred driving lessons, four different instructors and of course, four years of blood, sweat and tears.

I did pass eventually. However, it needn't have been that difficult. The reason it took so long, and so much, was not because I was an incompetent driver. It was because I had no self-confidence. That, my friends, is the key to why so many people fail their tests.

I am going to ask those of you who have been booked in for driving tests; do you really think your instructor is daft enough to book someone in for a test who they don't feel is ready?

Instructors have years of driving experience.They have had to take driving tests themselves, on numerous occasions to keep their qualifications up-to-date. They know who is ready to receive their driving licence.

So, how did I pass my driving test in the end? It was actually a number of elements.

1. I decided to buy a book called "The Girl's Guide To Losing Your L Plates" by Maria McCarthy. I thought it was very sensitively written and I could relate to it. I'd strongly recommend it to all learners, but if you're not the bookish type, here's basically what I did.

2. I started to tell myself I could do it. In fact, every morning, from when I booked my test to when I took it, I would wake up and say "I can do it."

3. I told my family I was going to pass my driving test.

4. I stopped caring about it. Honestly, this is the funniest part about it. I'd failed three times so you can imagine how upset I'd been about not passing, but I just thought to myself "if I fail, I'll just go to the pub with my mates afterwards and sit it again in a few weeks' time; if I pass, I'll go to the pub with my mates afterward and not sit it again in a few weeks' time.

5. I wore red, green and white. This may sound silly, but I'd heard on the learner grapevine that these were lucky driving colours and lots of learners had passed wearing these. I decided to give it a go. I think it just gave me that little boost of confidence.

And that's it really. Honestly, I didn't pass because I'd suddenly transformed into The Stig and after four years my driving magically improved. I was already a great driver.

When I eventually became in possession of a car and was able to give people lifts I actually received comments like; "you're such a smooth driver". I had seriously believed I was the worst driver in the world when in fact I drive quite well.

I believe it's because I had so many lessons, and because I failed my test three times.

The author's blog - http://www.cherubtattoo.blogspot.com

Source: EzineArticles.com.

Congratulations, Vicky. You are a living proof that driving is not only for those who passed the first time.

Nadav

nadavs

No comments: