Saturday, December 10, 2011

On Speed and Mileage

We often hear that high speeds are very gas consuming, and going slowly can help you save gas. But is it the truth? From my experience, the answer is no.

My car, like any new car, has a computer that calculates the distance left until the gas will run out (very inaccurate) and the gas mileage. Usually, it shows that my car does about 13 km per liter (multiply by 2.3625 to get miles per gallon). That figure matches all the traffic lights I have around here.

But when I go on the freeway (or get a miraculous green wave), I can often get this figure up to 15 and even 16 km per liter. This may seem like a small improvement, but it adds up quickly with long travels and the high price of gas around here.

What did you find? Higher speeds give you a better mileage figure or a worse one?

Nadav

nadavs

No comments: