Sunday, May 11, 2008

Deep Sand

It's amazing, but just yesterday I was talking about "near accidents", and today I had a real trouble. I followed some bad advice, and I got deep in the sand. Literally.

It all began with a bad advice. I was told about a possible shortcut in the route I told you about yesterday. This shortcut should save me from some road bumps and it's supposed to be shorter than the normal road. However, it's full of sand.

I drove through there, and at first I made it well. The sand wasn't so bad. But then, I entered a deep area of sand, and the car sank.

I tried digging, putting wheel aids, and using all possible gears and driving directions, but the car wouldn't get out. I tried flashing at other cars on the road nearby, but none of them came to help. It seemed like the situation was hopeless.

But just then a truck arrived, and I was able to flash them. They came to me, tied the two cars together with a towing cable, and pulled. The car easily came out of the sand.

When I started driving again, I almost got a heart attack. The ABS light showed that the ABS system stopped working, and worse, the odometer stopped counting. I thought the car is dead. I turned it off, read the manual, and when I found nothing I started it again. Everything was back to normal. Apparently the odometer is automatically turned off when the wheel spins but the car isn't actually moving. A smart feature to eliminate odometer fakers.

I learned my lesson. No more driving on the sand. At least not with my current car. A long road is better than getting stuck in the sand.

Yours, out of the sand,
Nadav

nadavs

No comments: